Bury Town Football Club, nicknamed “The Blues,” is a non-league football club based in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
Established in 1970, they currently compete in the Pitching In Isthmian League North Division, which is part of the eighth tier of English football. The team calls Ram Meadow their home ground.
Bury Town Football Club, founded in 1872, is one of England’s oldest clubs. Originally named Bury St Edmunds FC, they chose royal blue as their color, earning the nickname ‘Blues’. The club moved to Kings Road in 1888, where they hosted East Anglia’s first floodlit game in 1953.
Notably, Reginald De Courtney Welch, a member of England’s first international team and the first FA Cup-winning team, played for them. A founding member of the Suffolk County Football Association in 1885, Bury Town has won the Suffolk Premier Cup nine times.
After several name changes, the club permanently became Bury Town in 1923. Joining the Eastern Counties League in 1935, they achieved significant success, including a league and cup treble in 1963-64. They later joined the Metropolitan League, winning another treble in 1965-66.
The club faced challenges after joining the Southern Football League in 1971, eventually returning to the Eastern Counties League in 1976. They moved to Ram Meadow in 1978, enjoying FA Cup success.
In the 2000s, under Richard Wilkins, Bury Town was promoted to the Isthmian League and later won the Southern League Midland Division Championship in 2009-10. After a stint in the Ryman League Premier Division, the club faced relegation but showed improvement in recent seasons, finishing 6th in 2018-19.